Karamani (chowli or white small kidney beans) - 2 cups
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
Salt - According to taste
Red Chillies - 2 or 3
Green chillies - 1 or 2
Curry Leaves - a few
Coriander leaves - a little
Grated Coconut - half a coconut or 4 tbsp
Asafoetida - just a pinch
Cooking Method :
- Soak the kideney beans for half hour in water.
- Wash the soaked beans in water.
- Pressure cook the beans adding water and just keep for 3 whistles.
- Strain away the water in a strainer.
- Add oil in frying pan and add mustard seeds, urad dhal, slit green chillies, red chillies broken into 2-3 pieces, asafoetida.
- Add curry leaves and stir fry again.
- Add the cooked beans and stir again for a few minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add some grated coconut and add coriander leaves.
- Serve hot or pack it for Vethalai pakku :-)